Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Japan posts record July trade as imports outpace exports

    August 21, 2026

    DR Congo allocated 70,000 doses for Ebola outbreak

    August 21, 2026

    Wall Street rises after Treasury expands debt buybacks

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Egypt News HubEgypt News Hub
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Egypt News HubEgypt News Hub
    Home » Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacks
    News

    Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacks

    September 8, 2022
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Email

    Albania has cut diplomatic ties with Iran and expelled its embassy staff. This is because of an alleged cyberattack carried out by Tehran on Albanian government websites nearly two months ago, Prime Minister Zoran Zaev said. A country cutting diplomatic ties over a cyberattack was the first known instance of a country taking such action. In response to what it called a troubling precedent in cyberspace, the White House threatened unspecified retaliation against Iran.

    Albanian government severs diplomatic ties with Iran after July cyberattacksAccording to a White House statement, the White House has been helping Albania for weeks and has concluded that Iran was behind the “reckless and irresponsible” attack and the subsequent hack-and-leak operation according to the AP. Prime Minister Edi Rama announced the government’s decision in an official note to the Iranian Embassy in Tirana, the capital. Staff members of the embassy, including diplomats and security personnel, have been ordered to leave Albania within 24 hours.

    Albanian government websites and digital services were temporarily unavailable due to a cyberattack on July 15. He called the cyberattack “state aggression,” stating that it wasn’t carried out by individuals or independent groups. “The deep investigation provided undeniable evidence that the cyberattack against our country was orchestrated and sponsored by the Islamic Republic of Iran, involving four groups,” Rama said in a video statement.

    According to Iranian state television, Iran condemned the expulsion of the diplomats as ill-considered and short-sighted. Iranian Foreign Ministry denied Tehran was behind any cyberattack on Albanian government websites, adding Iran is the target of such attacks on its critical infrastructure.

    TIRANA said it was working with Microsoft and the FBI to investigate the cyberattack. Last month, Mandiant, a leading U.S. cybersecurity firm, expressed “moderate confidence” that the attackers were supporting Tehran’s anti-dissident campaign. Using ransomware, a group calling itself “HomeLand Justice” claimed responsibility for the cyberattack. While ransomware is best known for its use in criminal extortion, it is also increasingly used for political purposes, particularly by Iran.

    In a Telegram channel, “HomeLand Justice” posted documents purporting to be Albanian residency permits of members of the Iranian opposition group Mujahedeen-e-Khalq – better known as MEK – along with a video showing the ransomware in action. Using hashtags such as #Manez, the channel accused the Albanian government of corruption. Ashraf 3 camp in Manez, which is 30 kilometers (19 miles) west of Tirana, is home to about 3,000 Iranian MEK dissidents.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email

    Related Posts

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 puts youth inclusion in focus

    August 13, 2026

    Meta, TikTok lose appeal as youth addiction cases proceed

    August 12, 2026

    China widens flood response after Typhoon Dolphin landfalls

    August 11, 2026
    Latest News
    Business

    Japan posts record July trade as imports outpace exports

    August 21, 2026

    July marked the second consecutive monthly record for imports by value. Crude oil played a major role in the increase as Japan faced higher energy costs. Crude import volumes rose 5.5% from July 2025, ending three months of year-on-year declines. The value of those crude shipments jumped 87.8% over the same period. Japan remains heavily dependent on imported energy, making changes in oil prices and exchange rates important factors in its merchandise trade figures.
    Exports also reached an all-time monthly high and extended their year-on-year growth streak to 11 months. The 23.2% increase followed a 19.3% rise in June. Demand for semiconductor-related products remained strong, supported by investment connected with artificial intelligence and data centres. A weaker yen also raised the yen value of overseas sales and made Japanese products cheaper for some foreign buyers. The export performance exceeded the pace recorded during the previous month.

    DR Congo allocated 70,000 doses for Ebola outbreak

    August 21, 2026

    Wall Street rises after Treasury expands debt buybacks

    August 20, 2026

    WHO maps three-month path for Congo Ebola containment

    August 19, 2026

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 14, 2026
    © 2026 Egypt News Hub | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.